Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Monday, June 02, 2008

Tagged

Tagged by Lisa:

List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now, shaping your spring. Post these instructions in your blog along with your 7 songs. Then tag 7 other people to see what they’re listening to.

OK:

Photograph - Nickelback

My son played me this on a car journey earlier this year and it's stuck with me. I must admit I actually quite like Nickelback in general, but I always like to hear "heavy" bands playing against type. Good lyrics.

Luka - Suzanne Vega

Amazingly, I hadn't heard this until about three months ago, whereupon I went out and bought the album (Solitude Standing).

Open Your Heart - John McLaughlin

This one I've known and loved for years, having taped it from a friend's LP when I was a student. Now I have it on CD, which is nice as the tape was getting a bit worn. This is JM in his pre-Mahavishnu days, from the acoustic album My Goal's Beyond. No words, and on this track nothing but two tracks of guitar, but a tune and an arrangement that stay with you.

Ballad of Lucy Jordan - Dr Hook

I picked up a Greatest Hits album a while ago, to get Sylvia's Mother as much as anything, and was very taken with this song which once again I hadn't known. Maybe it wasn't a big hit in Britain? "At the age of 37, she realised she'd never ride through Paris / In a sports car, with the warm wind in her hair". A sad song of lost illusions.

Estampie - Lou Harrison (played by the Kronos Quartet)

The other instrumental in my collection, and my particular earworm right now. I was looking through the SheetMusicPlus catalogue for 20th century music that my quartet might have fun trying out, and noticed String Quartet Set by Lou Harrison. Harrison is best known for percussion pieces (and other pieces with a lot of percussion in them) using items such as car brake drums, oxygen tanks and the like, so I wondered what he'd do with a string quartet. Well, I listened to some clips courtesy of Amazon, and the answer is that he produced a piece based largely on medieval models, completely tonal and quite fascinating. But it's this movement that really grabbed me. The second violin just chugs aways with a rat-a-tat of the same note repeatedly, the cellist doesn't bother with a bow (or indeed the strings) but simply whacks various parts of her instrument with her hands like a demented bongo player, and the first violin and viola trade verses of the most amazingly sinuous dance tune. I haven't bought the sheet music yet, though I shall (I think we could probably play it, though I doubt we'll summon up the swagger that the Kronos give it; and it would be worth it just to see our cellist using his instrument as a drum). I did, however, buy the CD it's on (The Music of Lou Harrison in the CRi Masters series). I like the whole CD, but this track gets played a lot just on its own. Sheer fun.

Mao Tse Tung Said - Alabama 3

What can I say? Also sheer fun,. From Exile On Coldharbour Lane. Let the night roar!

Defying Gravity - Idina Menzel (from the Broadway cast recording of Wicked)

Not really my favourite song from Wicked, but ever since Samantha performed it on I'd Do Anything a week or two back I've had it stuck in my head.

OK, who to tag? Joe, Phil, Persephone, Udge, King of Scurf, Chip & Eddie, and Jane.

Phew.

6 Comments:

At 03 June, 2008 08:07, Blogger J.J said...

Tis done Rob,

Good tracks you have here too.

 
At 03 June, 2008 12:50, Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Nice selection Rob, though am baffled that Solitude Standing had by-passed you for all these years. It's a gorgeous album (her first is darn fine too). I'm especially fond of 'Night Vision'...

 
At 03 June, 2008 13:53, Blogger Persephone said...

Did you never see the really really odd film Montenegro? The definitive version of the "Ballad of Lucy Jordan" (lyrics by the decidedly odd poet Shel Silverstein) is featured here, sung by Maryann Faithful. You haven't heard the song until you've heard her sing it. The lead character in the film has the surname of Jordan, and I believe it was based on a true story.

Lisa's right. Solitude Standing is gorgeous. My personal favourite track is "Gypsy".

Will see if I can get to your meme today. It will take a little thought...

(I have no idea why the "attach" link is extending past Montenegro. HTML drives me batty...)

 
At 03 June, 2008 16:13, Blogger Persephone said...

...and the HTML was fine once posted. Anyway, done. And I think if you're going to post links to Agnetha, you should have links to your seven songs...

 
At 03 June, 2008 20:42, Blogger Rob said...

Shel Silverstein, whose work I first encountered in my early teens, in my big brother's copies of Playboy (just to prove I did look at the pages with writing) is best known for "A Boy Named Sue", though "Sylvia's Mother" itself is one of his. Odd indeed. And no, I haven't seen Montenegro but will look oput for it.

 
At 20 June, 2008 09:34, Blogger Eddie Louise said...

Finally got around to posting this! Sorry for the delay!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home