Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Monday, June 30, 2008

The Mouselesstrap

I'm blogging this in a car park overlooking the award-winning beach in Durness. As I'm in the car I'm using a touchpad rather than my normal mouse so may be even more error-prone than usual.

Why a car park well, i was full of good intentions when we set out for our week's holiday up here at the top LH corner of Scotland. I packed my laptop and notes on all the stuff I wanted to blog about (2 film reviews and an opera, quite apart from all the things on the must-blog-sometime list). I packed my clever little Vodafone adaptor that lets me blog when I'm at our Ballater flat. Perfect.

Except that there's no mobile reception at all at our rented cottage. Zip. Nada. No phones, no email: totally cut off from the outside world. I half expect a fake policeman to ski up to our window at the start of the second act.

Anyway, that's why I'm up here availing myself of Vodafone's massive 56kbps (so slow I can't even get the logon page of Virgin Webmail to load, though the madhuri email that the blog links to works reasonably). I think it's fair to say that unless I pass somewhere with a broadband connection for hire you won't be hearing much from me this week.

OTOH, it's been a good holiday so far. (I posted some pictures from here last October but I damned if I'm wasting bandwidth finding them now.) Today we went to Cape Wrath (pronounced to rhyme with "bath" rather than "moth", apprently, and derived from the Norse word for "corner"). The area is a military bombing and shelling range (the only one in Western Europe where they drop live 1000 lb bombs) but wasn't going bang today. It has a lighthouse, and a road to the lighthouse, though there is a gap of about 500m in that road where a pedestrian ferry takes you over and a minibus meets you. There is no ferry-free road access to the Cape, which makes it a rather attractive destination for those who like wild places. It boasts the highest sea cliffs on the British mainland (900 ft), and lots of seabirds. We had an enjoyable walk round part of the coastline and got the minibus driver to pick us up on his way back. That may be our only decent walk for a few days, as the forecast is grim. Ah well: plenty of books, and Wimbledon on TV.

See you next week.

1 Comments:

At 01 July, 2008 13:59, Blogger JoeinVegas said...

A hidden corner of the country with no radio waves. Sounds like a great way to relax.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home