Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Let's You And Him Fight

I know in these days of sophisticated markets one can parcel up almost any kind of asset or liability and sell it. However, this one came as news to me, and rather alarming news at that. Put simply, I encourage you to take out a lawsuit against Bigbucks Incorporated; I fund you in this lawsuit; we split the profit if you win. In this way I am effectively buying a share in a lawsuit I deem a good prospect. I can't see any way in which that is a healthy development, so I'm glad that in this case (unless appeal to the House of Lords is successful, which seems unlikely) the funders have had their fingers burned up to the elbow.

In Eric Berne's classic book Games People Play: The Psychology of Human Relationships, one of the games is Let's You And Him Fight. Even if the game itself doesn't quite fit the case here, its title seems an appropriate motto for the litigation funding business.

1 Comments:

At 23 June, 2008 15:15, Blogger JoeinVegas said...

What was that case? A company saying to it's auditors that you didn't watch me screw myself close enough, it's your fault?
I hope the judges awarded legal fees, let those backers shell out money. There are enough law suits without it becoming more complicated with financial backers. Oh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home