Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Time to show your age....

Time for another 'first lines' quiz. This time for a change I haven't picked songs from my CD collection, but theme songs from TV series I have watched and enjoyed over the years. They'e a mix of British and American shows, which might be felt to disadvantage my transatlantic visitors: but them how many Brits remember American 1960s sitcoms?

Usual drill: answers in comments box please, and I'll annotate the list below as people guess correctly.

1. Through early morning fog I see visions of the things to be
M.A.S.H (guessed by Persephone)(and I'd forgotten the TV show only had the intrumental version - sorry!)

2. Everybody knows in a second life we all come back sooner or later
My Mother The Car (guessed by Persephone)

3. It was boredom at first sight
Watching (guessed by Jane)

4. Hey baby I hear the blues a-callin', tossed salad and scrambled eggs
Frasier (guessed by Persephone)

5. Here we come, walking down the street
The Monkees (guessed by Persephone)

6. Oh, what happened to you, whatever happened to me
Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads? (guessed by Phil)

7. Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip
Gilligan's Island (guessed by Persephone)

8. Bold as a knight in white armour, cold as a shot from a gun
Adam Adamant Lives! (guessed by Lisa)

9. So no one told you life was gonna be this way
Friends (guessed by Persephone)

10. Rollin' rollin' rollin'
Rawhide (guessed by Persephone)

8 Comments:

At 07 May, 2008 01:02, Blogger Persephone said...

1. M*A*S*H (which had only the instrumental in the T.V. version; the lyrics were in the opening of the movie, and apparently written by the 18-year-old son of the director? producer? I could look it up...)
4. Frazier
5. The Monkees
7. Gilligan's Island
9. Friends
10.Rawhide
Don't recognise numbers 2,3,6, or 8, (although 2 rings a faint bell)so I'm assuming they're British shows. We do actually get a lot of British shows in Canada, but maybe not ones you like! (Actually, a lot of the ones that spring to mind had instrumental-only themes...)

 
At 07 May, 2008 07:03, Anonymous Phil said...

I'll pick up

6. Whatever happened to the Likely Lads

but 2, 3 and 8 have me stumped (as did 1 and 7).

 
At 07 May, 2008 09:17, Blogger Eddie Louise said...

Hmm.. for a minute I thought no. 8 was 'Have Gun will Travel' but then I started singing and realised that the line from THAT show was 'A knight without armour in a savage land' hmm...

 
At 07 May, 2008 11:17, Blogger Rob said...

FWIW #2 is an American show. 3 and 8 are British. #8 may have been sold to the States, I'm not sure, but #3 probably wasn't.

If Lisa drops by she'll get #3 for sure. I would have though most Brits of my generation would have got #8, which had quite a memorable title sequence to go with the song.

 
At 07 May, 2008 20:45, Blogger J.J said...

Oh thank god - I have got number three after an awful lot of agonising 'It is on the tip of my tongue' style.

It's Watching (You could hardly call him bright).

 
At 08 May, 2008 01:08, Blogger Persephone said...

Oh Good Lord. #2 isn't My Mother the Car, is it? Say it isnt' so!

 
At 08 May, 2008 21:41, Blogger Rob said...

Would I lie to you? Of course it's MMTC. What took you so long? i can't believe it's as obscure over there as over here?

 
At 08 May, 2008 23:52, Blogger Persephone said...

It was your hints about "worst sitcom ever" and the single season of its existence that finally twigged. With a mysterious dearth of re-runs, this series is likely to continue its slide into obscurity. (Thank heavens.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home