Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Which is more surprising: that people came up with these, or that other people paid them to do so (and accepted the results)?

I just had to share this with you. I made a note of it a couple of days ago and then tonight as I was channel-hopping I found the same story on More4 News. Tee hee. They had a few examples of other unfortunate logos, all of which I have found online here. Guess they did the same Google search I did.

Anyway, the OGC one is a worthy addition to the canon.

Update: when I showed this post to my wife she drew my attention to this picture which suggests that careless choice of words can be just as unfortunate as any pictogram. Oh, and my daughter reckons the "A-style" logo is intended to be funny, as (I note) does the first commenter on that page.

4 Comments:

At 25 April, 2008 09:21, Anonymous Eddie Louise said...

Oh, marketing, marketing, marketing. The brilliant team at my University has decided on a re-brand for Napier. Instead of Napier University Edinburgh, it is now to be known as...

Wait for it...

Edinburgh Napier University! (of course actually pronouncing the Napier in anything other than a muted undertone is entirely optional!!)

 
At 25 April, 2008 10:41, Blogger Clare Sudbery said...

I really don't get it! The OGC thing, I mean. I tried looking at it sideways, as suggested by the article, and I notice from the comments that someone else was as confused as me and was told it was something to do with cocks and wanking, but I just can't make it look like anything other than the three letters O, G and C! How does it look like anything else?

I'm obviously being really dim, but you're going to have to give a detailed explanation to explain this one to me.

 
At 25 April, 2008 10:43, Blogger Clare Sudbery said...

Ah, I think I get it now. The O is a head, the C represents legs, the cross piece of the G is an erect cock. It's not that obvious though, and requires a certain degree of imagination. I don't think it's the end of the world that they went ahead and used it anyway.

 
At 25 April, 2008 15:55, Blogger Persephone said...

Emoticons have really changed our way of seeing things, haven't they? A bit of a double-edged sword...

My personal favourite ("favourite" perhaps being a poor choice of word) is a sign I saw in my doctor's waiting room: "Rape Support Group - 7 pm". Scheduled presumably to free up those all-important sexual assault times when the bars let out?

I live in Ottawa, but consider Victoria, B.C. my home where Portage Inlet and the Strait of Juan de Fuca are among the important watery land?marks. Stories abound about city council meetings convened to prevent the naming of a high school "Portage Inlet Senior Secondary" and our halls of higher learning "Juan de Fuca University". The latter is now known locally as "UVic". Phew...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home