Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Back in the day

Browsing around last.fm and Youtube for videos of blasts from my musical past, I found this. While the video component is only swirls it isn't inappropriate to its music, and the music itself is the opening track of the album I posted about here.

One of the things I was looking for was this video of Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention doing Cosmik Debris. I saw it on TV in a tribute to Frank just after his death, and thought then that his solo was one of the best I'd ever heard. FZ didn't often play in what I'd call the Eric Clapton blues style, but here he demonstrates just how well he could do it. If you want guitar histrionics, go somewhere else. (Frank could do them ,of course,when he wanted to.)

And finally, I couldn't find a video of FZ doing My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama as I'd hoped, but here is a marvellously comic video with his son Dweezil covering it. How many people could do such a good version? And how many sons get such great material from their fathers in the first place?

2 Comments:

At 30 March, 2008 18:26, Blogger Tim (Kalyr) said...

And some cloth-eared idiots say he's "No Eric Clapton". WTF?

 
At 30 March, 2008 23:29, Blogger Rob said...

Having seen them both live on top form (FZ on the Uncle Meat tour and EC with Delaney & Bonnie) I wouldn't be unkind about either of them, though my personal favourite would always be Zappa, as much for his total musicianship as for any technical superiority or greater versatility. (And my personal favourite British electric guitarist remains Richard Thompson for the same reason.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home