Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Monday, February 25, 2008

Beautifully Arranged

Ruairidh and I were at the cinema this evening to see There Will Be Blood, an excellent film which I must say I enjoyed far more than I'd expected to, and with an outstanding performance from Daniel Day-Lewis, an actor I don't much care for on the whole. Still, if he doesn't nail the Best Actor Oscar tonight something is far wrong. Not so sure though about Best Film (probably No Country For Old Men is better). The soundtrack is great too: a mix of really good original music by Jonny Greenwood (of Radiohead) and well-chosen pieces by Brahms, Arvo Part and others. Maybe an Oscar there for the music.

However, our attention was also taken by this new ad for the Ford Focus. My favourite part is the "cello bows". What's yours?

2 Comments:

At 26 February, 2008 19:20, Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Yes, I do like the use of wipers as bows. Must have put a lot of work into making all of those instruments.

 
At 06 March, 2008 15:13, Blogger Chip said...

hmmm, I didn't like the Ford ad because the sound in the end was hardly made by that ensemble... to many string sounds for how few strings they actually had.

And as for the movie, I struggled with this film because I felt it got to the end and felt "what was the purpose?" Maybe it was a fault of the story, but like No Country For Old Men, I felt the characters lacked any redeeming character. However, In No Country... I felt the acting was much better. Daniel Day-Lewis felt pretty 2 dimensional to me.

I really preferred Sweeney Todd, for music, acting and ... well, it's Sondheim (a God in the musical theatre world). But it was really over looked (IMHO).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home