Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Tail End Charlies

We've had the First Lines meme. We've had the Middle Eights meme. It stands to reason, then, that sooner or later we would scrape the part of the barrel containing the Last Lines meme.

Here are the last lines of ten songs, picked quasi-randomly from my collection. Nothing too obscure, and some very well-known. None of the lines contains the title of the song. Sometimes I've given you the last two lines if one would be too impossible to guess. A mix of vintages and genres. Place your guesses for song and artist in the comments box. As I get correct answers I'll annotate the post with them.

1. When my body's landed, hope she dies of shame.
Sally Free and Easy (Cyril Tawney) (guessed by Phil)

2. And I guess, but I just don't know.
Heroin (The Velvet Underground) (guessed by Phil)

3. Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight.
Time Passages (Al Stewart) (guessed by Joe)

4. The people with the questions smiled; the people with the answers lied, they lied (so no pizza for them)
Eclipse (The Beta Band) (guessed by Phil)

5. Fifteen years gone now, I still cling to the petticoats of the girl who died with me.

6. Standing in the shadow of Clifton Chenier, dancing the night away.
That Was Your Mother (Paul Simon) (guessed by Udge)

7. And did we tell you the name of the game, boy, we call it Riding The Gravy Train.
? title? (Pink Floyd) (band guessed by Gert)

8. were we ever warmer on that day a million miles away / we seemed from all of eternity

9. But what's the matter, Daddy, how come you're turning green? Could it be that you can't live up to your dreams?

10. Saint Peter don't you call me 'cos I can't go: I owe my soul to the company store.
Sixteen Tons (Tennessee Ernie Ford) (guessed by anonymous)


11 Comments:

At 15 January, 2008 08:08, Anonymous Phil said...

4 is Eclipse by the sadly-missed Beta Band.
1 is Sally Free and Easy by Cyril Tawney (and many others). I recognised that one very quickly, as it's the first song I ever did at the folk club I go to, getting on for five years ago.

I'm pretty sure about some of the others, but I'll let someone else have a go.

 
At 15 January, 2008 08:20, Anonymous Gert said...

7 is Pink Floyd, I think. I can hear it in my head but can't remember the name of the song

 
At 15 January, 2008 10:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

#10 is Sixteen tons by Tennessee Ernie Ford - Wow! haven't heard that since I was a kid!

 
At 15 January, 2008 16:40, Anonymous JoeInVegas said...

Oh, the end bits of songs, so much harder than the starting bits.
I can guess two - (but someone already did TE Ford) so how about Mr. Stewart's Time Passages for #3. That's moved on to Easy Listening background music in the Home Depot now.
The rest are probably UK songs I've never heard (sour grapes)

 
At 15 January, 2008 17:04, Blogger Rob said...

Actually, Joe, there's only one British number among the five unguessed ones, and 3 American ones. So you can't play the poor dumb Yank card.

 
At 15 January, 2008 23:43, Anonymous Phil said...

2 is Heroin.

 
At 16 January, 2008 03:05, Blogger Rob said...

Minor transcription error in #8 fixed (which will only have troubled people who were trying to cheat by Googling it).

 
At 16 January, 2008 12:57, Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

DAMN! 16 tons was the only one I was danm sure of... Late to the party and it's such a good one too...

 
At 16 January, 2008 18:04, Blogger Rob said...

There was another one I was sure you'd get, Lisa: and surely you can fill in the Pink Floyd track title Gert forgot?

 
At 21 January, 2008 21:29, Blogger Udge said...

6 is Paul Simon "That was your mother"

8 is vaguely familiar but I can't place it.

 
At 25 January, 2008 20:50, Blogger Udge said...

8 is still familiar, and I still can't get it. (grumbles)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home