Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Monday, October 22, 2007

That would probably explain the wet t-shirt as well

I've just been reading Gert's review of the Covent Garden Walküre (strictly, of Acts I and II) and I'm very jealous of her seeing PD as Siegmund.

I hope she won't mind my quoting a small extract....

And then the singing starts! At which point I realise that my binoculars, slung round my neck, are still in their case, and I have to, micron by micron, unfasten the velcro and discard the case. Then I realise that through the binoculars the stage looks very far away...yeah, I'm using them upside down. Then I realise that the four pieces of glass are grubby; the lower ones from sticky finger prints, the higher ones from make-up that comes off from around my eyes. So I have to set to and clear them, whilst never taking my eyes off the stage or my ears off the music, especially the singing, especially the singing of Siegmund. The seats in the Amphitheatre at Covent Garden are very closely packed, and any excess arm movements are very annoying to one's neighbours. Fortunately, I am blessed with permanently erect nipples which are very handy for cleaning binoculars. And I'm sure that's way too much information.

.....after which I shall never look at opera glasses in quite the same way again.

4 Comments:

At 22 October, 2007 16:40, Blogger JoeinVegas said...

And just exactly how do you clean your opera glasses?

 
At 22 October, 2007 21:37, Blogger Udge said...

I laughed out loud at this. Is it very wrong that I then thought that she might be able to make a little money offering this as a service?

 
At 23 October, 2007 00:05, Blogger Rob said...

Joe - at present I use my breath and a tissue, but I shall definitely give consideration in future to taking a suitably-equipped companion for the purpose.

Udge - a little money, you think? And now I'm imagining Gert pitching this entrepreneurial idea to the panel in Dragons' Den. One might imagine a team of similarly-talented ladies accompanying the programme-sellers: the "Braille Surtitles", perhaps, or the "Obbligato Eyeglasses".

 
At 23 October, 2007 12:54, Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Those final two sentences of Gert's had me pretty much spluttering smoothie at my computer screen.

Gah: I hang out with some very witty writers... they're in danger of making me choke!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home