Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Friday, October 12, 2007

A post that starts in one place and ends in another

I found this blog by accident (its owner posted a comment just above one of mine on EKN regular Phil's blog The Gaping Silence). A German political blog sounds promising in any case, but what brought me to a gobsmacked halt was this post on the questionnaire sent to the long-term unemployed by Hamburg City Council (among others). The council withdrew it: I wonder if withdrawal was preceded by the kind of outcry I suspect we'd get in Britain under similar circumstances?

Incidentally the post of Phil's where I read KMS's comment is worth reading too. Very often Phil's posts leave me feeling rather awestruck, and I slink away wishing that I'd got round to reading Das Kapital (and that's not an emotion too easily aroused) or consoling myself that however bottomless my ignorance on some matters where Phil is clearly very well-informed, I can probably give him a decent contest on Schoenberg chamber music, St Kilda, or sulphur-nitrogen compounds. (Actually, the last was more for alliterative effect: while that was a set of undergraduate lectures I didn't sleep through I don't think I've actually retained very much of them.) Anyway, this post of Phil's crossed into an area I actually know something about: Phil may have recently become a folkie, but I - lapsed though I am these days as a performer - was putting in the hours on stage with my fiddle, and occasional (guitar, vocals), when I was still at school 35 years ago. My finest hour was being part (to wit, fiddle) of a hastily-assembled band led by Trevor Crozier (author of "Don't Tell I, Tell 'Ee") and Joe Beard (formerly of The Purple Gang) which actually achieved a slot on Main Stage 2 at the Cambridge Folk Festival in (I think) 1976. Introduced by Martin Carthy, followed by The High Level Ranters, my seven minutes or so on stage passed as in a dream. Anyway, for once, therefore, I actually had something coherent to write in a comment!

6 Comments:

At 12 October, 2007 22:58, Anonymous Phil said...

1. I haven't read Capital (I've read bits of it, and very good they were too, but any leftish dilettante or Politics student could say as much).

2. I haven't recently become a folkie. It's four and a half years now since I started doing it regularly (February 2003; I did "Sally free and easy" in an E L Wisty raincoat). According to my trusty song/performance spreadsheet I've now Got Up about 120 times in all.

3. I know very little about St Kilda and next to nothing about Schoenberg, so you might be on to something there.

4. Cheers. I dream of progressing beyond the floor spot, but it would probably take more effort than I'm prepared to put in.

 
At 13 October, 2007 00:46, Blogger Rob said...

Four and a half years sounds pretty recent to me....

 
At 13 October, 2007 19:39, Anonymous Phil said...

Recent? Hardly - why, I was a mere lad of 42 when I started out...

OK, it is recent compared with the first time I sang something traditional in public (1984), the first time I sang anything in public (1980) or the first Steeleye Span album I bought (1973). But it's felt like quite a long haul to me.

 
At 21 July, 2015 09:19, Blogger 750unique said...

2015-07-21song
kate spade outlet
michael kors handbags
michael kors outlet
louboutin
gucci handbags
louis vuitton borse
nike air force pas cher
louboutin
cheap ray ban sunglasses
ray ban glasses
ed hardy outlet
nike blazer high
kate spade
true religion jeans outlet
toms outlet store
mont blanc pens
gucci sito ufficiale
ray-ban sunglasse
sac louis vuitton pas cher
kate spade new york
nike blazer pas cher
coach outlet store online
snapbacks hats
cheap oakleys
cheap oakley sunglasses
polo ralph lauren
oakley sunglasses outlet
coach outlet store online
replica watches for sale
tory burch outlet online
michael kors watches
true religion
coach factory outlet
ed hardy uk clothing
pandora charms sale clearance

 
At 28 September, 2015 00:41, Blogger 风骚达哥 said...

20150928 junda
true religion outlet
Louis Vuitton Handbags Discount Off
ugg boots
ralph lauren uk
Discount Ray Ban Polarized Sunglasses
ugg boots outlet
toms outlet
cheap jordan shoes
cheap uggs
Cheap Jordans For Sale Wholesale
coach outlet
cheap toms shoes
michael kors bags
ugg boots
Ralph Lauren Outlet Clothing
Louis Vuitton Handbags Factory Store
Christian Louis Vuitton Red Bottoms
Michael Kors Outlet Online Mall
Coach Outlet Store Online Shop
Louis Vuitton Clearance Sale
Abercrombie And Fitch Kids Online
coach factory outlet
Michael Kors Outlet Online No Tax
michael kors handbag
Air Jordan 3 III Retro Free Shipping
louis vuitton outlet
michael kors handbags
Louis Vuitton Bags On Sale
true religion jeans
uggs australia
Coach Factory Outlet Stores 70% off
nfl jerseys
louis vuitton handbags
tory burch outlet
Coach Factory Outlet Online Sale

 
At 23 June, 2017 09:22, Blogger SA A said...

michael kors outlet online
ugg boots
reebok outlet
cheap snapbacks
michael kors handbags
ugg boots
chicago bulls
cheap oakley sunglasses
chicago bears jerseys
cheap nike shoes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home