Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Of Ravens, Romans and Radios

Back home after a great week in Ballater. The weather stayed good so we got plenty of walking and cycling done as well as the obligatory pottering, scone-eating and shopping. Got a good view of some ravens on Meikle Pap, heard dozens of stags bellowing (both very close and loud, and distant, echoing and atmospheric) and kept our distance from the people (evidenced mostly by their Land Rovers and ponies) taking advantage of the last few days of the deer stalking season. Oh, and we watched Dil Se and most of I, Claudius on DVD.

Now I'm catching up on radio programmes I missed. The BBC, bless them, are serialising Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams, and while it's not the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy it is a very good book. It's therefore with some relief that I can report that they're doing a good job, with Harry Enfield surprisingly good as DG, and Billy Boyd as Richard Macduff demonstrating that his appalling acting in LOTR was just an aberration. The cast also includes Robert Duncan (Gus from Drop The Dead Donkey, one of my all-time favourite TV comedies) and Andrew Sachs (Manuel from Fawlty Towers).

I've also begun to catch up with Old Harry's Game, most of whose first episode I caught one night on the car radio. And I'm looking forward to listening to this week's Friday Play, which I might have overlooked had it not been for Lisa.

2 Comments:

At 23 October, 2007 12:52, Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Had chance to listen to the play yet? It was rather good...

 
At 26 October, 2007 02:44, Blogger Rob said...

It was, wasn't it? "Enigmatic" is the word that comes to mind. All rather Chuang-Tsu-and-the-Butterfly. I wondered at first if I'd be missing out by only having heard the album once, about 10 years ago. Maybe some things would be less enigmatic, like "ladybird" and all the North Norfolk stuff? Must get hold of a copy and listen again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home