Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Sunday, October 28, 2007

No Mean Sidhi

This could be interesting, especially as Edinburgh is one of the two places being considered for it. Edinburgh University already has the Arthur Koestler Chair of Parapsychology, so we're used to being laughed at. And in just the same way that the Koestler chair isn't in my opinion a matter for laughter (it's about investigation, not belief) I'm sure Donovan's institution will be interesting. While I have little doubt the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi is a businessman who has found a great way to get rich (an impression confirmed when I attended one of his road-shows as a student) , I don't have a problem with the benefits of meditation per se.

Though I have my doubts about yogic bouncing flying....

2 Comments:

At 29 October, 2007 10:22, Anonymous Phil said...

Pop quiz (no googling): which John Lennon song, which appears on the White Album, originally had the opening lines

Maharishi,
You little twat


(And how different would musical history have been if they'd recorded that version?)

 
At 01 November, 2007 03:33, Blogger Rob said...

I admit I had to Google it (I hadn't heard the anecdote, surprisingly). Heh heh.

However, twat or no, the Maharishi was part of the whole 1960s Zeitgeist, so I think it wouldn't have been just musical history that would have changed if the Beatles (or part thereof) had publicly disavowed him. To put the Maharishi in perspective, remember that when I first went to university in 1973 the guru du jour was the Guru Maharaj Ji ("15-year-old Perfect Master"), whose pictures - and followers - were everywhere. I endeared myself to one of my college neighbours by pissing off some of his more earnestly spiritual friends: on my door I had stuck a Robertson's golliwog and the label "Guru Marmalishi Golli: 18-yr-old Perfect Master". That still rather pleases me.

If you remember GMJ at all it's probably only because I nudged your memory. Whereas the Maharishi.... I don't mean to imply that he was any less more or less phoney than GMJ, merely that he found a place in history that GMJ didn't.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home