Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Saturday, October 06, 2007

Enigmatic, that's the word. Well, that or "dentist".

After the women came home, I did two things. The most recent (while blogging, in fact) was to knock out a tooth filling on a spicy green pea (mild ouch). The earlier, courtesy of a late night showing at our local arthouse cinema, was to see Hallam Foe. This time Hilary and Vanessa had seen it before me, and had reported well of it, so I was puzzled when I spent the first 15-20 minutes finding the plot and characters so unbelievable that I wondered if I was going to get through the film without walking out. I'm glad I persisted, though, as after about 20 minutes it picked up (about the point where Hallam goes to Edinburgh). As the girls said, it's rather nice to watch a film and know all the locations, and from there on I did. Jamie Bell was excellent in the title role, showing that there is life beyond Billy Elliott, while Sophie Myles acted her socks - and other things - off as his girlfriend (and is surely now destined to hoover up many of the roles which used to go to Kate Winslet) . It was strange, though perhaps it shouldn't have been, that the minor characters were less well acted (not wooden, just less well-defined) with the glorious exceptions of those played by Ewan Bremner and Maurice Roeves. It just shows that they are famous actors for a reason. Good credits, great soundtrack. Not my film of the year, but I very much enjoyed it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home