Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Craig Murray is back!

And he's here.

One of his posts altered me to this strange story. I agree with him that as the bloke was in his room, in private, it's hard to see what the fuss was about, let alone why he should be put on the Sex Offenders Register and have the rest of his life ruined.

Not all doom and gloom, though, dear me no. This post contains the full text of his Rectorial Address to the students at Dundee University, which is hilarious (while probably making the university authorities squirm uncomfortably at the description oif their democratic deficit). It's worth reading the full thing, though here's a brief sample:

Becoming Rector here fulfils two of my great ambitions in life. The first was when I had a Highland Reel named after me, written by in my view Scotland’s best traditional music exponents the Battlefield Band. Sadly the great Jimmy Shand is no longer with us, but I like to imagine it at ceilidhs – “Our next set is a highland reel, with The Lang Heid followed by Lady Margaret Campbell of Glenlyon followed by Ambassador Craig Murray of Tashkent.” That will confuse them.

So my very own reel a great honour, and my first ambition. My second was to become Rector of the University of Dundee.

I might have to give up on the third, as I don’t suppose Kylie Minogue would be up for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home