Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

The pweor of the wtiretn wrod

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too. Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!


(Thanks to Mr Messy for that.)

The thing I found most interesting was that as I read the passage my speed increased until at the end I was hardly being slowed down at all. Truly, the haumn mnid is a wfourdnel tnihg.

4 Comments:

At 04 September, 2007 20:39, Blogger Udge said...

(picks jaw up from floor)

wow. amazing. I'd read somewhere that people recognize words rather than reading them; that must be the ultimate proof.

 
At 05 September, 2007 18:28, Blogger Udge said...

Actually, it would be interesting (if difficult to test) to put a few genuine misspellings into such a scramble and see what effect they had.

 
At 06 September, 2007 04:42, Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Reading it is almost as impressive as being able to write it, or should I say daingeR ti si mstola sa sesimeipr sa gnebi bela ot tierw ti.

 
At 06 September, 2007 16:52, Blogger Rob said...

Udge: indeed it would.From the fact that I had to look carfully to convince myself that some of the scramblings were genuine anagrams, I suspect a single-letter error would sail through unless it mapped to another real word. Of course, transposition errors which are the commonest typos would have no effect!

Joe: you missed one of the essential points which is that you need to keep the proper first and last letters (which is why only four-letter and longer words get sabcelmrd). And EGGS doesn't change either.

That last one is quite hard to unravel,isn't it? I sorted the jumbled letters into alphabetical order, though whether that made a difference or whether it's just a toughie, I don't know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home