Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Friday, August 31, 2007

New Horizons In Sound

The other day I was listening to my CD of Mahler's Fifth Symphony through headphones. It must have been the first time I'd done so, because I was highly amused to discover that the conductor (the late Giuseppe Sinopoli) sings along with the orchestra in loud passages (though not, to my relief, during the Adagietto!)

The incident reminded me of another only-through-headphones gaffe, namely the unmistakeable sound of a pencil being knocked off a music stand during the second movemnent of the Tartini-Jacob Concertino on this recording.

And finally, a different kind of headphone anecdote. I once listened to this recording of the 1812 Overture (replete with real 19th century cannon, and terrific fun) through headphones, imagining (correctly) that it wouldn't be nearly as impressive as through decent speakers. However, from the reaction of other people in the room, I realised that the cannon fire sounded absolutely hilarous to those on the outside. Swapping places, I found it sounded like pop guns.

Does anyone else have interesting headphone anecdotes (especially things that only show up when you listen through phones)? Could be rustling, singing, anything really.

(Cross-posted at Head On A Stick.)