Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Actually, it's a reasonable question

I was rather taken by the idea of a Club de Chefs des Chefs. It put me in mind of the Junior Ganymede Club in the Jeeves and Wooster novels of P.G. Wodehouse.

I should mention my son's reaction to this story. He has mild Asperger's Syndrome, one of whose symptoms is a certain fussiness about food. (The narrator of The Curious Incident of the Dog In The Night-Time, who has a worse case of AS than my son, won't eat anything brown or yellow. As my son's favourite foods, eaten every day in the normal way, are bourbon biscuits (4) and bananas (2), you can see that not all AS sufferers are alike.) Anyway, my son eats bourbons and bananas every day, as well as apples and sugar-free Robinson's apple & blackcurrant squash. He is also inordinately fond of pizza (cheese and tomato, or pepperoni), and has been known to eat a pizza in a restaurant followed by an identical pizza for dessert.

So when he read the comment by the Queen's chef that "If I mentioned Her Majesty's favourite, chefs would recreate it for her everywhere she went - she would be served it so many times that it wouldn't be her favourite any more" his comment was "Why would it stop being her favourite food because she had it every day?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home