Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

is it just me....

...or does this story smack of a set-up?

I mean, coincidence is a wonderful thing. There just happened to be a "prominent human rights activist" in the vicinity when Cameron Diaz was visiting Macchi Picchu. And he just happened to be able to read Chinese. And he recognised (of course) the exhortation "Serve the people", far from being an innocent call for democracy and humility, was a quotation from Chairman Mao. whose ideology had been used some years ago by Sendero Luminoso to justify their reign of terror.

What were the odds? Read Chinese/recognise quotation/be a human rights activist (because simply being a peasant wouldn't carry the implication that Diaz was in some way infringing the Peruvians' rights)/happen to be in the same place as Diaz when she was carrying the bag.

Sounds like a manufactured story to me: reporter in Lima (or wherever) notices bag, wonders what it says, gets translation done, sees opportunity to create a marketable story by making mischief, phones ahead to pal in Macchu Picchu to watch out for Diaz, "chance" spotting of bag, fuss, story, $$$.

Call me cynical by all means, but I think the whole thing stinks.

UPDATE: Here is a Peruvian who agrees with me that the whole thing is a fuss about nothing (at least he does if my nascent Spanish and BabelFish's surreal suggestions grasp his meaning aright.) He doesn't go as far as I do in proclaiming the whole thing a set-up; to him it's merely a non-story.

4 Comments:

At 26 June, 2007 09:04, Anonymous Phil said...

It doesn't seem too unreasonable to me that someone with exposure to Sendero Luminoso might recognise the Chinese characters for 'serve the people' - it's a classic Maoist slogan. I don't know that Sendero used to write it in the original Chinese, but it doesn't seem too improbable.

 
At 26 June, 2007 14:18, Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Why Rob, being so cynical now. (probably the way it happened though, how many people read Chinese?)

 
At 27 June, 2007 07:00, Blogger Carlos A. Quiroz said...

Rob,
Peruvian media is very manipulated (like everywhere else) but this "Diaz offends Peruvians" crap is just a plain lie or -at least- a simple generalization. Read the English version of my post:
http://peruanista.blogspot.com/2007/06/cameron-diaz-in-cusco-wearing-maoist.html

 
At 13 November, 2013 06:05, Blogger becky wayne said...

Testimony

I want to thank Dr. IGHODO for what he has done for me. i am happily married for 6year before my husband ran away with a younger woman called Rachael. i have to provide for my children which was not easy being a single mother because i love my husband and i tried all my best to get him back but all my effort seems abortive. have to tell my best friend about my situation who directed me to Dr. IGHODO HIGH temple who solved my problem for me within 24hrs. If you have any problems about your relationship i advise you to contact him through the email below he is the only solution to your problems. Ighodohightemple@gmail.com
(1)If you want your ex back.
(2) if you always have bad dreams.
(3)if You want to be promoted in your office. or if you have a place to work and you need help
(5)If you want a child.
(6)You want to be rich.
(7) If you have a broken relationship
(8) If you want to marry your dream man or woman
(9) If you want win court case or an election. E. T.C
Email him at:ighodohightemple@gmail.com is the only place all the. Problems can be solved!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home