Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

Witty and pertinent observations on matters of great significance OR Incoherent jottings on total irrelevancies OR Something else altogether OR All of the above

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Brought To Book

I found a book challenge meme over on Udge's blog, the idea being that he has picked five books which have been languishing unread on his bookshelf for long periods, and undertakes to read them in the first two months on 2007. That seemed like a good idea to me. Despite my new year resolution to read more books (as opposed to online stuff and newpapers/journals) I feel that five books (given the nature of some of the ones I've picked, and given that I shall undoubtedly be reading other books in between) in two months is maybe a tough target, and six books in three months might be more achievable.

Unread books I have a-plenty. Ha! Udge has books unread for a mere 15+ years: the longest that I can date accurately is 32+ (which became number one in the list below). I think the most recently acquired of them is the Grass, which I've had about five years. All significant books in their way.

1. Teilhard de Chardin: The Phenomenon of Man
2. Charles Dickens: David Copperfield
3. Nancy Benvenga: Kingdom on the Rhine
4. Gunter Grass: The Tin Drum
5. Anne Frank: The Diary of Anne Frank
6. Victor Hugo: The Laughing Man

So. I shall do my best to read these by the end of March 2007. I will let you know how I'm getting on, though I certainly don't promise to review them. What could I say about the Dickens or the Grass that hasn't been said? And I have already read a magnificently sweeping disposal of the Chardin- a work of offbeat Catholic theology - by an avowed atheist (P.B.S.Medawar, I think).

I have a number of books in French also awaiting my attention. These range from what I think is a complete set of the Goscinny/Sempe Petit Nicolas stories (some of which I read as a student, and which I believe are finally being translated by the redoubtable Anthea Bell) to a number of the surreal detective novels by San-Antonio. These last will, I suspect, tax my reading skills even with a decent dictionary, as I gather their use of language is somewhat idiosyncratic. These, however, will just have to wait their turn: though perhaps I should undertake to read a couple of my French texts during 2007 . Why not?

2 Comments:

At 03 January, 2007 20:34, Blogger Udge said...

32+ years

show-off ;-)

happy reading in the new year!

 
At 03 January, 2007 21:23, Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Does that mean you're going to be here less because you're off reading? Oh my.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home